Sunday, June 24, 2007

regarding elective OS reinstallation

Last November I bought a new Core 2 Duo MacBook (yeah, the black one). Since it was replacing a G4 iBook, I used Migration Assistant to move everything over from the iBook to the MacBook. This was a nearly flawless operation, so much so that it encompassed a few items I'd either forgotten about or had never imagined might make the jump from a G4 to an Intel-based machine. These included a couple of processes that launch at startup and just sit there, occasionally checking for the connection of a particular device and launching the device driver if it's found.

That in itself wouldn't have been an issue, but it made me wonder what else might be hidden away, little bits of code that run under Rosetta because they came from a PPC machine, when Intel versions of the same code had shipped with the MacBook.

So, to cut to the chase, I finally got around to restoring the MacBook to its initial condition, using the included installation disks, and am now in the process of reinstalling the applications I've collected along the way (including MarsEdit).

For what I was out to accomplish, getting rid of bits of PPC code and a couple of annoying processes, this is a tedious process. But, you know, if you're thinking you'd better do it, and putting things off until you get it done, then you'd best get it done, so you can get on with your life.

Clearly, that's a train of thought with applicability beyond computing, but rather than pounding it into the ground I'll leave it at that.

No comments: